Berwind and Tabasco were situated in the west central part of Las Animas County, Colorado, less than a mile apart. Although so near together as to have had a public school in common, each of the towns had a separate post office.

Berwind was located in Road Canyon, one of the most attractive spots in Southern Colorado. The scenery around Berwind is beautiful--the great plains stretching far to the east, Raton Mountain and Fisher's Peak to the south, and the Spanish Peaks and the Snowy Range to the west. Thus shut in by the mountains and foothills, Berwind was protected from both the severe storms of winter and the intense heat of summer, making the climate enjoyable year round.

The mine (C F & I Co. No. 3) was first developed in 1888 by the Colorado Coal and Iron Company, which continued to operate the mine until the consolidation of the Colorado Coal and Iron Company with the Colorado Fuel Company in 1893. David Muer was the first superintendent. Very little prospecting was necessary as a fine, six-foot vein of coal cropped out at the foot of the mountain. The quality of the coal was excellent for steam and cooking purposes. A pick and shovel were all that were needed by the miners. The supply, too, seemed unlimited, as Berwind grew from one of the smallest to one of the largest coal producers in a very short time. In October, 1901, 398 men were employed in Berwind.

The public school was called Corwin School and was taught first by Elsie Albert, later replaced by a Miss Armstrong. For many years, the school was in session for ten-month terms. Corwin was a day school with 60 pupils enrolled from both Berwind and Tobasco. A circulating library, for community use, was housed in the building. Late in 1902, construction was started on a new facility to house a kindergarten and a night school. Among other subjects, there were classes in woodworking, weaving, and a cooking class in which 58 men and women were enrolled.

John Aiello, who owned the only general store in town, was among the first to arrive in the camp. His store was called Aiello and Company, and was housed in an impressive two-story building with a false front, a large front porch, and a genuine second-floor, European-style balcony, a feature that delighted the predominantly Italian population. Dr. A.L. Trout, company surgeon in residence, cared for community health and gave the usual health and sanitation lectures to the townspeople.

All of the company houses were constructed on the cottage plan and contained four, five, or six rooms. They had sbustantial foundations and were neatly painted and plastered. The external design and color of these cottages was diverse in order to relieve the appearance of sameness often found in camps and villages where rows of houses of equal size were built.

Berwind was located in the west/central part of Las Animas County, about seventeen miles northwest of Trinidad, on the Colorado and Southeastern Railroad. To see the site, drive south of Walsenburg on the old U.S. 85-87 highway or on Interstate 25 to the Ludlow exit. Turn west here and drive about a mile west to the Ludlow Monument. From there, follow the old railroad grade through Ludlow, under the railroad grade via a narrow tunnel, and up Road Canyon. Follow the winding road for about a mile into the canyon.

-Camp and Plant Magazine