IMG_3755.JPG
Entrance to Mineral Palace Park (c. 4/25/12)

The Colorado Mineral Palace was built before the actual park that now bears the same name. In fact, at the time of construction, Pueblo did not even have park districts. As the financial trouble persisted for the organization that controlled the Palace (the Colorado Mineral Palace Company) the City Beautiful Movement was becoming a nationwide phenomena. Prominent citizens of Pueblo began to make plans for a huge public park that would surround the Mineral Palace. In June of 1896 the U.S. Supreme Court gave the title to the land that surrounded the Mineral Palace to Henry C. Brown of Denver. Brown decided that he would sell a portion of the land in order for a park to be developed. Soon after the Supreme Court ruling, the Colorado State Legislature gave the Ladies Park and Improvement Association permission to sell improvement bonds. In August of 1896 the property owners in Pueblo passed a bond issue of $70,000 in order to create the Public Park Improvement District No. 1. The goal of the Ladies Park and Improvement Association was to take those funds and create a park around the Mineral Palace. In 1897 the actual Mineral Palace building was given to the city and the park was built up around it. As construction of the park began, trees from across the country were imported to the area and planted around the grounds.A man-made lake was dug which would eventually be named Lake Clara.

rowboat.jpg
Paddle boats were available to rent on Lake Clara (Courtesy Photo/Pueblo City County Library District)
IMG_3773.JPG
Lake Clara today - The boathouse is gone and citizens are no longer allowed on the lake. (c.4/25/2012)
















pavillion.jpg
Courtesy Photo/Pueblo City County Library District


It was given this name in honor of Clara Latshaw who was involved in the improvement of the park and served on the Park District No. 1 Board of Commissioners. In addition to the trees and lake, there was also a boathouse, bandstand and winding roads constructed for public use. A playground was constructed along with an animal zoo and zoological gardens. The grounds surrounding the Palace became the first major flower garden in Pueblo. The flowerbeds were planted every year in intricate designs and patterns that were an unparalleled site. If the city was expecting important visitors the flowerbeds would be planted in their honor, depicting their names spelled out in flowers.
Motorcade.jpg
Courtesy Photo/Pueblo City County Library District



Mineral Palace Park, much smaller today than the original park, still boasts magnificent flower gardens. Lake Clara is also still present, but much smaller than the original. There are still walking paths available throughout the park and families of all kinds
IMG_3778.JPG
A family of ducks spend the afternoon on Lake Clara (c. 4/25/2012)

IMG_3789.JPG
Kids at soccer practice (c.4/25/2012)


















still use the park for daily activities from a nice walk, soccer practice or a picnic with family. There is a public swimming pool where open swim time is held daily from 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM. A map of the park and its surrounding neighborhood can be found here.
IMG_3760.JPG
Flowers in the infamous gardens of Mineral Palace Park (c.4/25/2012)

IMG_3759.JPG
Walking Path & flowerbeds in Mineral Palace Park (c. 4/25/2012)

























The Pueblo Art Guild can also be found inside the grounds of Mineral Palace Park. It is open from noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday, showing a variety of works by local artists. 543-2455 or www.puebloartguild.com.

IMG_3782.JPG
Pueblo Art Guild in Mineral Palace Park (c. 4/25/2012)
IMG_3781.JPG
Pueblo Art Guild in Mineral Palace Park (c. 4/25/2012)